It becomes a fantastic culinary delight for the Bengalis if you add in sorshe or mustard which ever you call it to a dish. Here’s your way to a very very happy meal.
• 4 cup Water
• 1 cup Green split peas lentil
• Bay leaf
• salt to taste
• Cooking oil of your choice
• 1 tablespoon Ginger, minced
• Green chillies (washed and slit)
• 2 teaspoon mustard seeds, blended along with green chillies, salt and poppy seeds, & a little water
• Coconut, shredded (optional)
• Ghee (optional)
• Boil water in a pan.
• add the lentils, bay leaf, turmeric & let them simmer until the lentils become soft
• Keep stirring so that it doesn’t stick to the pan
• Now add salt. Be careful as the mustard paste (which shall be added later) also is a little salty
• Heat oil in a pan and add chilies and ginger paste to it.
• Now add the mustard paste and keep stirring
• Add coconut & keep stirring for a couple of times.
• Remove from heat & pour this over the dal.
• Let it boil or simmer for about 15 minutes
• Garnish with cilantro
• Drizzle this with ghee and serve hot.