Dahi Vadas are extremely tasty snacks. For those who haven’t tasted these yet, these are fried lentil dumplings that are dipped in a tempered and seasoned yoghurt mix. It is light and also easy for digestion making it a great option for snacking in the summer months.
Ingredients for Vadas:
1 Cup split black lentils (Urad Dal)
1/2 inch grated ginger
5-6 green chillies paste (or as per taste)
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
Ingredients for serving:
21/2 – 3 cups Cold Whisked Curd)
1/4 tsp Black Salt (Kala Namak)
1 tsp Roasted Red Chili Powder (or as per taste)
1 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
1/4 cup Tamarind Chutney (or as per taste) – store bought; any brand of your choice.
Chopped Fresh Coriander leaves (cilantro)
- Take the lentils and soak overnight or for a minimum of 3 to 4 hours.
- Make a paste of the dal.
- Now add salt, chili powder & ginger to this batter
- Keep whisking the batter till its fluffy
- Let this stand for 10 minutes
- Now heat oil in a pan
- Scoop the batter using a small ladle and drop it into the oil to fry till golden brown
- Fry in batches till the batter is used up.
- Absorb the excess oil from the fried dumplings with some tissue papers
- Let the vadas cool to room temperature
- Now soak these in water for 20 minutes
- After 20 minutes take these out and squeeze out the water from them by pressing each vada between your palms
- Now whisk the curd very well with black salt and put the vadas in this curd mixture for 10 minutes
- Let this cool since dahi vadas are best served cold
- While serving, take a bowl, put a vada or two, cover with curd, add some tamarind chutney, sprinkle roasted red chili powder, Roasted Cumin powder, & chopped Coriander leaves.