Alokeparna Ghosh is a social development professional working as a consultant for the nonprofit sector. She also writes on food and runs a blog called goodfoodmemories (www.goodfoodmemories.com).
In her own words — “This Butter Chicken is a sort of cheats or easy to cook version without compromising on the authenticity of the taste. I am a reluctant cook who doesn’t like to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Yet I want my food to taste great! This recipe is aligned to my laziness and my nostalgia of butter chicken at the old Ballygunge Dhaba, Kolkata, the one I grew up admiring!”
- Course: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Indian
- Servings: 3 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
◾450 grams Boneless Chicken Leg and Thigh Meat
◾2 large Tomatoes (make a paste)
◾1 large Onion (make a paste)
◾1 tablespoon Ginger and Garlic paste
◾50 grams Butter (I used President)
◾100 grams Fresh Cream (I used Amul)
◾1 tablespoon chopped Coriander Leaves (optional)
◾1-2 Tbsp Ghee/vegetable oil
◾1 tablespoon Kasuri Mehti/Fenugreek Leaves
◾1/2 Tsp Turmeric powder
◾1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder or more if you prefer spicy
◾1/2 Tsp Garam Masala Powder
◾1 Tsp Cumin Powder
◾ Salt to Taste
- Cut the chicken into 2 inch pieces and marinate with the kasuri methi, salt, and all the spices. Let it rest for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat ghee/oil in a pan/kadai. Add the chicken and fry in high heat for 5-7 minutes. Lower flame and cook for another 5 minutes
- While it’s cooking, add butter. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add onion, ginger, garlic, tomato paste. Mix everything thoroughly. Cover and cook for 10-15 min.
- At this stage you can add chopped coriander. Check if chicken has cooked well and there’s no raw smell of onion. Check seasoning. Turn off the flame and add the cream. Mix well and transfer to serving bowl.
- Garnish with coriander, if you prefer.
- Serve with Naan/Paratha or Rice.