Rijula Duttaroy — Designer by profession and an occasional cook by passion. Rijula features her creations under the brand name Nakshaa.
1. Basmati Rice 800gms
2. Mutton 1kg 200gms
3. Chopped onions- 2 medium
4. Ginger Garlic paste
5. Kashmiri mirch
7. Curd- 200gms
8.nutmeg and mace powder
10. Saffron strands 4 to 5
11. 2 to 3 tablespoon milk
12. Food color
13. Pure ghee 200gms
- Marinate the mutton with curd, ginger garlic paste, kashmiri mirch powder and salt and refrigerate for at least 3 to 4 hours.
- After marination, take oil in a deep pan and fry the chopped onions till they r golden brown.Put the marinated mutton and keep stirring till the mutton is half cooked and the gravy starts to dry.
- After at least half an our of cooking, put the mutton on pressure cooker and cook for another 10 to 15 mins.
- Please add minimum water in the cooker just to help the mutton to boil. After the mutton is cooked, transfer it to the pan again and cook until the gravy turns dry.
- In the meanwhile soak the saffron strands in the milk and keep it aside for half an hour. Also take a pinch of food color and mix it in water.
- Now cook the basmati rice and add 1 tablespoon white oil and 3 to 4 tablespoon salt in it.. When the rice is almost cooked, strain and keep it aside.
- Then add ghee to the rice and mix it well.please take care that the rice does not break while mixing the ghee.
- In a big handi, put some ghee at the bottom and spread bay leaves sufficiently to cover the bottom. Then add a layer of rice.
- Take a pinch of cinnamon powder and nutmeg powder and spread it evenly on rice, then add 1 teaspoon of kewra water, 1 teaspoon of milk soaked with saffron, 1tea spoon food color and then put a layer of mutton evenly on top of it.
- Repeat the layers at least 2 to 3 times and then add boiled egg, boiled potato and fried onions on topmost layer and seal the handi lid with flour dough.
- Keep it on low flame for at least 45 mins to 1 hour. Turn off flame.
- Before serving please ensure to again keep it for half and hour in low flame and then open the seal.