Dalna is an integral part of Bengali cuisine; sometimes mild, sometimes spicy, but always delicious. Ol or Elephant Yam is a wonderful vegetable, that has an amazing taste. It is a must try for vegetarians. This dish is also purely vegetarian, devoid of any garlic and onion. If you have friends who are strictly “non-vegetarian”, you could use this recipe to convert them. I have tried this recipe numerous times and passed with flying colours. Now, it is your time to earn accolades for your cooking skills.
- Whole cumin seeds
- Garam Masala Paste
- Salt and sugar to taste
- Cumin paste
- Ginger and chili paste
- Cube the Yum and Potatoes in 3/4″ size
- Heat oil in a pan and temper with whole cumin seeds
- Add the potato and the Yam cubes
- Once these are fried well, add cumin paste, ginger & chili paste and sugar
- Keep stirring well
- Add water and cover to cook
- Once these are done, stir in garam masala paste, and serve.