As the Punjabi diasporas migrated across the country and also internationally, this dish was introduced to new locales by entrepreneurial Punjabi migrants. This recipe became very popular post the partition of India. It tastes delicious. This can be served with rotis, parathas or even rice.
• Urad dal/ Black Gram whole 100 gms.
• Rajmah / Black Kidney Beans 25 gms.
• Cumin seeds 1 tsp.
• Chopped garlic 1 tbsp.
• Chopped ginger 1 tbsp.
• Garam masala powder 1 tsp.
• Fresh cream ½ cup
• Red chili powder 1 tbsp.
• Butter 50 gms.
• Chopped tomato ½ cup
• Chopped onion 1 cup
• Oil 1 tbsp.
• salt As per taste
• Take 5 cups of water. Wash and soak whole Urad Dal and rajmah overnight
• In 5 cups of water add salt, red chili powder and chopped ginger. Now cook in it the dal and rajmah till they are done.
• in a pan Heat oil and butter together
• Temper with cumin seeds
• Now Add some chopped onions and cook till translucent
• Add some chopped ginger, garlic and tomatoes.
• Lower the heat and keep stirring till tomatoes are done and the oil starts to separate.
• Add boiled dal and rajma to this.
• Add Garam Masala Powder and let it cook at very low flame for the next 15 minutes.
• Turn off heat. Let it stand for 5 minutes and add fresh cream, and serve hot.